!!!FINNISH HEAVY METAL!!!
We had a conversation with ORPHAN DEVIL. Enjoy!
Welcome to the FILTHY DOGS OF METAL Webzine.
1. Tell us a few things about ORPHAN DEVIL (Members, Starting Year etc).
The band was formed by the four of us (Sakke, Kristo, Sampo, Late) in 2016 as Bourreau. We've been friends for quite
some time and Sakke had a couple of songs ready, so we started playing them and writing new songs.
Last year we changed our name to Orphan Devil and in the beginning of 2019 we joined forces with our new singer Perttu.
2. You have recently released your New Single ''Victims Of The Night / Drifting Away''. What is the Feedback from your audience as well as from the Press?
Feedback has been mostly really good! We've had a lot of people contacting us about the single and asking us when they can get their hands on a physical copy of it.
Worry not, the 7" is on the way!
3. Are you in searching for a label? What you prefer most, Label or DIY and why?
We're working on a deal with a label at the moment, but can't say anything about it until we have signed a deal.
For the question about our preferation, I'd say it's easier to get a proper release and distribution with a label,
but full support for the DIY stuff also!
4. Do you prefer Vinyl, Tape, CD or Digital Format and why is that?
Vinyl is the best, but the other formats also have their time and place.
5. Your music style is Classic Heavy Metal from the 80s. Which are your main influences (Favourite Artists / Bands etc.)
We listen to lots of different kinds of music. Of heavy metal influences the biggest one is old Swedish heavy metal. Many of them had punk influences and kind of melancholic vibe on their sound, which we love.
And of course none of us would have picked up an instrument if we hadn't listened to Iron Maiden. Classic rock is also as important for us as heavy metal.
6. Which things, do you think, a Band should sacrifice in order to succeed?
Have you ever sacrificed anything in your life for a better future of your Band?
Depends on how high you aim. For success you need a lot of hard work and good luck. We really haven't sacrificed anything, but three of us live in Jyväskylä and two in Joensuu,
so it's a bit of pain in the ass to even have rehearsals. And same thing with gigs. So we have to take days off from work and drive many hours in order to play anything.
7. Describe your ideal live show as a performance Band. Have you already experienced that?
Lots of people having a great time, a couple of other good bands performing, and none of the gear breaking down.
It's also nice if we get some new fans from the gig. For the future shows we would like to add some more show elements on stage.
8. Which attributes, do you think, that a new Heavy Metal Band should have in order to gain identity and be unique?
Focusing on the good songwriting and great melodies and not just recycling those old riffs over and over again.
The most important thing should be the music itself, not having the right brand of sneakers and leather jackets.
9. Do you believe that Bandcamp and other Digital Platforms help the new Heavy Metal Bands? Which, do you think, is the ideal way for a Band to promote its work?
Yes, the Internet is a good way to spread the word. It's so easy for everyone to record something in their own bedroom and share it with the world.
The hard thing is to stand up from that endless sea of new bands.
10. Tell us a few things about the New Underground Heavy Metal Scene in Finland (Bands, Fanzines, Webzines, Metal Clubs etc.).
There are some good bands and quite a few gigs every now and then. Of heavy metal bands I recommend you to check out Lord Fist (Perttu's other band)
and Iron Griffin (you can also witness our guitar heroes in the live line up!).
11. Do you know anything about the Hellenic Metal Scene?
Not that much. I know people over there are really passionate about heavy metal and organize great gigs and festivals.
12. What are your future plans?
To keep writing new songs for our upcoming releases, play a lot of gigs and try to get some gigs abroad too.
13. Thank you very much for your time & Keep up the good work! The closure is yours.
Thanks to you! 7" is out at the end of this year, so grab a copy and come see the live show when OD comes to your town!
By Steve the Filthy Dog.
ORPHAN DEVIL CONTACT: